Translate

Powered By Blogger

9.9.15



My Hebrew teachers in Temple Israel in Hollywood never got very far with Torah  since the program there was very limited. Besides Hebrew, you had to learn Old Testament stories and general Jewish history and that was all on Shabat morning. It was a lot to fit into Shabat morning.


And once I got to my first Lithuanian yeshiva in NY, grammar was not a priority. Rather Gemara in depth is what they concentrated on there. And that seems to me to be a good idea, but it also means I had to pick up grammar much later.]

 [I have noticed that people that don't do Talmud in depth in their first two yeshiva years, never get the idea afterwards. So I definitely advocate learning Gemara in depth before anything else.]

A drop of the infinite depths of Tosphot and the Gemara itself is the most important thing to learn before anything.