Translate

Powered By Blogger

8.6.15

My approach is based on learning.
There are five basic things I think people ought to learn and finish. This idea is based to a large degree on what I was taught when I was in yeshiva. In fact in the first yeshiva I went to it was definitely clear that learning Torah is the highest Divine service.
And I accept this but I add to it Math and Physics for the reason that the Rambam includes Physics and Metaphysics in the category of Torah.

So these are the five
(1) The written Law, that is the Old Testament.
(2) The oral Law, that is the two Talmuds, Tosefta, Sifra, Sifri, Mechilta, Torat Kohanim
(3) Musar, that is the Musar books based on the approach of the Rambam and Saadia Gaon.
(4) Math
(5) Physics

If I would be consistent I would include the Metaphysics of Aristotle, but I would rather not include that on my list right now. If I would have perfect faith in the Rambam then of course I would include it but I am in general I little unhappy with philosophy.

This is my approach however it is based on what I saw in my parents. There was something so amazing and magical about the relationship between my parents that my brothers and myself have spent our whole lives wondering what it was and wishing we could duplicate it in our own lives.
So what you see in the above paragraph is my own take on what they were about. If you would ask my brothers they would say that yes I am right that Torah and and natural sciences were import to them but also family values and loyalty to family and also working at an honest job for a living and of course Classical Music. My Dad supported the Opera in  Los Angeles and obviously sent a check to Cal Tech every year