Translate

Powered By Blogger

11.6.15

As a family, we were  Reform Jews. We did all the regular Reform Judaism things. We went sailing and skiing, and visited Israel, and learned Torah, and kept the mitzvot to the best of our ability, but did not turn mitzvot into a means of making a living or making money. But I must mention that my parents were a hard act to follow. I think in some way each one of us three brothers took one specific area of the values of my parents and developed that --but not with the balance that my parents had.
Torah and Judaism were important to my parents, and that area of value I went into with a fervor.

But as for the areas of value of being self reliant and being a "mensch" (decent moral, ethical human being) my brothers did a lot better with than I.


I think Reform however even then was going in directions that my parents recognized were not exactly like Torah