Translate

Powered By Blogger

8.5.15

Israel Salanter

I am pretty sure that Musar is important. One piece of evidence  is that my brothers and myself are on  different paths of Torah. My older brother tends towards the Reform side of Judaism. And yet when I mentioned to him about the book Duties of the Heart (the Chovot Levavaot) (חובות לבבות)  and Fear of God as a principle he was quite positive that that is the right path.
That is even though on the official level there are differences between different branches of Judaism, but for simple Jews there is little doubt of what the basic path is. Fear of God and living like a mensch. [not depending on charity, living according decent moral standards.]
My younger brother is goes to a conservative Shul but I am pretty sure that in essence he agrees with this approach also, though he might not have heard of any particular Musar book.


[I mean on the outside of the spectrum you can find insane Jews that are against the State of Israel.  The extremists don't define Torah. Only Torah defines Torah.



Musar itself  has been hijacked by extremists.
What I think is to stick with the core set of the classical Musar books [חובות לבבות אורחות צדיקים מסילת ישרים] and the writings of the direct disciples of Israel Salanter: Isaac Blasser, Joseph Horvitz, Simcha Zisel, Naphtali Amshterdam.
Isaac Blasser wrote the neoclassical Musar book אור ירשאל