Translate

Powered By Blogger

7.5.15

Unless a person has gone through Shas [Talmud] I am not in favor of anyone learning kabalah. But if one has done the proper kind of preparation I think it is a good idea. [The Ari himself says if one learns it without the proper preparation, it kills him.--at least spiritually]
My own hope is to get through all the writings of Isaac Luria.  And if you are starting kabalah that is what I would recommend for most people. Also I hope to get through Yaakov Abuchatzeira's books and the Ramchal's [Moshe  Chaim Lutzatto] and the Shalom Sharabi (note 1).
And if you are interested in Kabalah then only learn it with some descendant of Yaakov Abuchatzeira.

The is to say legitimate kabalah I think needs to be distinguished from kabalah of the Sitra Achra [The Dark Side]
And we know there is Torah from the Sitra Achra and this applies to all four aspects of Torah. It is for this reason I emphasize sticking with the basic Litvak approach based on the Gaon from Villna. My intention is to avoid the Sitra Achra and to help others do so also. [Or at least to warn people.]


(note 1) Shalom Sharabi is the author of the book printed at the end of the Eitz Chaim. He was a Yemenite Kabalist that made his way to Jerusalem.  He wrote a lot more stuff besides that. There is a yeshiva that concentrates on his approach in Jerusalem called Nahar Shalom [and that is in fact the name of his book.] Mordechai Sharabi I think was a descendant of his. There are two prayer books along the lines of kabalah both called Sidur haReshash, a big one and a small one. I used the big one for some years. [I don't know much about that yeshiva. Maybe it is OK. But still my recommendation is to stick with the Bava Sali (Abuchatzeira) approach.]