Translate

Powered By Blogger

4.5.21

learning Torah along with Physics and metaphysics

Only after some time was I aware of the rishonim that hold of the importance of learning Torah along with Physics and metaphysics. That fact was not well known in Shar Yashuv or the Mir. It seems to me that even if I would have known about this I still would not have gone to the local university since I had no method of doing math at the time. [I was not aware of the path of learning of just saying the words and going on could be applied to math and physics. And philosophy as it was taught then in universities did not appeal to me at all. It seemed to me that philosophy was vacuous meaningless and when it comes to some some conclusion it is invariably wrong and lunatic. [It seemed that Kant was barely mentioned, and the universities were all into existentialism or "analytic philosophy."] If I could go back in time, I would today probably try a more balanced approach. Half day Gemara and Tosphot and half day Physics. (Philosophy I would still avoid unless it would be about basics--Plato Aristotle, Plotinus, Kant.)