Translate

Powered By Blogger

13.9.16

Individualism

Individualism seems to be a debate between Kant and Hegel. In Communist Russia, Individualism was considered as bad as capitalism.  This seems like an important issue because my basic approach is to side with Kant but I admit some validity to Hegel.

Individualism is seen by religious and totalitarian people as being the height of evil.


I think that Kant was basically an individualist. That would be the natural conclusion of his idea of the "self" which to him is quite individual. I mean to say that to Kant the "self" is in the category of the dinge an sich. That is the basic idea of his idea of aperception. That was the basis of his Transcendental deduction. I mean that we perceive our own self in a way that is not any different than how we perceive external reality. This is perhaps the most important part of Kant. And it certainly goes in the direction of self autonomy. The only person that I know of who offers argument otherwise is Hegel.