Translate

Powered By Blogger

8.9.16

A few thoughts about STEM and the Chafetz Chaim


A few thoughts about STEM and the Chafetz Chaim

1) As far as STEM goes a computer major is probably well on  the way of taking care of the obligation to learn the "work of Creation"


 Rav Zilverman the Rosh Yeshiva of Aderet Eliyahu in the old city of Jerusalem told me once that learning engineering (electrical or other types) can be considered as a part of what the Rambam calls "the work of creation."

2) The Sefer the Chafetz Chaim is important to learn and to keep. I think I finished it at least once with the notes at the bottom of the page. -but probably not more than once.


At one point I believe I tried to get through every single book the Chafetz Chaim had written and probably got through a lot.



3)  I am in fact very impressed with Kant though I did not have a chance to learn him in high school when I was doing my philosophical research.  I have to mention that Kant was saying something stronger than the fact that human beings have a limit to their knowledge. He was saying pure reason –reason totally abstracted away from people also has a limit where it can not venture and if it does it comes up with self contradictions.



4) Simcha  Zissel of Kelm. one of the disciples of Reb Israel Salanter.  held very strongly about this idea   to have sessions  in Torah that one does not deviate from at all.