Translate

Powered By Blogger

19.2.15

Character improvement.

My suggestion for this is a two step program.
First learn Musar. That is: Books of Ethics written during the Middle Ages.
Next when you find something in one of those books you know you need to work on then find a small statement that deals with that issue  and say it right away when you get up in the morning and right before you go to sleep at night.
For example I have had some issues brought up to me by others or I myself have noticed my own  deficient character in certain areas. To a great degree this idea has been helpful.
Appendix:
What was special about the Middle Ages in terms of Torah is a good question. This is a axiom in Yeshivas. The period is called the period of Rishonim. I really am not sure what made it special.
At least in terms of Philosophy it is easy to see. Philosophy after the middle ages fell into a kind of Dark Ages. Almost all the great philosophers after the Middle Ages are guilt of circular reasoning. [Assuming what they want to prove. Given this kind of logic you can prove anything by playing with words in a fashion to hide what you are doing.] Not Kant though.