Translate

Powered By Blogger

10.2.15

significant of good practices I had been doing when I was part of the Lithuanian Yeshiva World.

(1) Shemirat Habrit. The awareness that sexual purity is the first and foremost prerequisite towards any spirituality what so ever--if the spirituality we are talking about is from the realm of the holiness and not the opposite.
(2) Joy. I became aware that service to God must be with joy.
(3) Israel. Torah teachings gave me a lot of encouragement to get up and make aliya to Israel.
And that in itself led to all kinds of good things. [A lot of things opened up for me.]
(4) Talking with God . This was for me an amazing channel while I was in Israel. There was a nearby forest while I could go to and spend whole days doing this.

I think if I had keep up my Talmud learning along with these other good things that I would have been a lot better off. But as I said, I did not go into it with balance.

Breslov was kind of a sore point in Meor Chaim. Rav Ernster had invited Breslov baali teshua into the four buildings given to him by the Israeli government. And they were kind of a pain for him. I am sure he was surprised when I turned out myself to be a baal teshuva . He must have thought I was a regular "Mir Yeshiva Guy." In any case I did not fit into the kollel. And did not want to either. Learning Torah to get a pay check was not my cup of tea. But I think I should have gone there anyway or found some way to do my regular learning.

[The major problem I saw was that people took tests to show they were learning. To me that seemed an open violation of the principle not to use Torah to make money]

In any case, it seems to me that there was a great deal of tension in the kirya [set of buildings] because the baali teshuva/ [newly religious people] were constantly making problems for Rav Ernster and then other baali teshuva turned against me also until I had to leave Israel. Baali Teshuva do tend to be nightmares for everyone around them.
Rav Ernster himself acted in the whole episodes uprightly. Now it is highly uncomfortable for me to go into details, but also a lot of details are unknown to me. Mainly I got the impression of tension and at some point people that had become religious thought it was mitzvah to stone me and my children and that certainly made me uncomfortable enough to leave. Since then I have thought that kiruv [bringing people in to make them into the insane religious world ] is not all apple pie.
To make along story short  baali teshuva  were trouble makers. About a twenty on a scale from one to ten.