Translate

Powered By Blogger

20.2.22

I asked my learning partner what I can do for my children.

 I asked my learning partner what I can do for my children. He suggested a Torah lesson in the book of Rav Nahman that says when the father repents on his sins, that sends thoughts of repentance into his children. And I am a sure that is true. But I would like to make a different suggestion that is based on the idea that the environment is important. This was an idea I saw --I forget where, but I think it was Socrates. The best thing one can do for his children is to make sure they grow in a decent society.

[I can see now that my leaving Mir [one of the greatest Litvak Yeshivot] was in a decision that was somewhat irresponsible. I might have been enthusiastic about Breslov, but I guess it never occurred to me that the straight wholesome Torah path of the Mir  [or any Litvak Yeshiva] would have been better. Could I not see the difference? This of course does not imply any disparagement of Rav Nahman himself, but Breslov is quite different.