Translate

Powered By Blogger

13.7.21

 I was reading a bit more about the wife of Rav Kinyevsky [she passed away 17 Tishrei] and noted an interesting fact. That he would make a sium [a small party in honor of finishing a tractate] every year on the whole Shas, that is the regular Gemara [Babylonian ] and also the Yerushalmi [Written in Tiberias] with the rishonim [medieval authorities] and some achronim [authorities after the Middle Ages]. That would be on the day before Passover. And the wine from that party would be called the sium wine and people would save it and later apply it as a remedy for different kinds of maladies.

It puts a sort of nostalgia in me for the golden years that I was in two great yeshivas where Torah was learned for its own sake.  [Both in NY , Shar Yashuv and Mirrer.]

[This however was not exactly like the path of my parents who had great respect for Torah, but their path was more along the line of emphasizing other aspects of Torah like "to be  a mensch"[decent human being], to be self reliant--never to ask or accept charity. My dad had gone to Cal Tech, and I certainly showed a lot of interest in following him in that path when I was young. 

So nowadays I try to walk in this sort of middle path of trying to learn Torah along with Math and Physics as I think my parents would have approved of.


Rav Kinyevsky  is the son of the Steipler who wrote some great books on Shas and who was one of the great sages of the Litvak world which walk more or less in the path of the Gra. (Not enough so , since they ignore the signature of the Gra on the letter of excommunication. I never got into the books of the Steipler since they were around in yeshivot when I was just trying to manage with Gemara Rashi and the Maharsha. Much less get into achronim. Only much later when I was learning with David Bronson did I learn --or relearn- the path of study in depth .

I should mention that learning Torah seems to require a wife that appreciates that approach. While the way of learning Torah for its own sake --and not receive money for doing so-still there a need for wife that appreciates this service of learning Torah.