Translate

Powered By Blogger

17.7.21

 The Gra said to Rav Chaim of Voloshin not to be afraid in the issues involved with the law--pesak din. Therefore I do not pay attention to what is politically correct in the religious world. When it comes to issue of the Law of the Torah --right against wrong, public opinion is worthless. 

I should add here that there is an amazing spirit of Torah that can be found in yeshivot that walk in the path of the Gra. [Commonly known as Litvak yeshivot because of coming from "Litva" as said in Russian  or "Lithuania" in English.] The way this can be understood is the idea of numinous. I am really not sure if any words can really capture the spirit of Torah that I felt in an immediate and powerful way. But I can see that it takes a certain sort of overcoming of obstacles to be able to stick with this path. Plus a kind of appreciation for it that I fell from. But for right now I would like to try just to convey this kind of power of holiness that can be found in such places. [Though I can see that a lot depends on the place --since they are not all so great, and the person.] So perhaps I might just mention my own experience. I was in one Litvak yeshiva Shar Yashuv where I really began to feel this intense aspect of Torah. I could draw myself away from learning Gemara only with great difficulty.  The same goes for the Mir in NY. That also had this sort of intense feeling of the primal necessity to learn and keep Torah in the most simple straightforward way. I fell from this after a few years, but those years were something I imagine the Garden of Eden must be like.