Translate

Powered By Blogger

2.8.21

 I noticed in the writings of Dr. Kelley Ross [Friesian ] that he believes that Hegel held from a sort of phenomenalism-  the view that physical objects cannot justifiably be said to exist in themselves, but only as perceptual phenomena or sensory stimuli]. I can see that  even strong supports of Hegel like McTaggart held this way. But I have never been able to see Hegel in that way and in support of my view I would like to say that this is exactly how Cunningham explains Hegel in his PhD thesis. [Thought and Reality in Hegel's System. GUSTAVUS Cunningham.]\Rather I think that Hegel is thinking of Being as emanating from Logos. Not being identical. This would be like Plotinus. And this aspect of Hegel I have thought to be so for  long time-and also this aspect of Plotinus in that he holds like Aristotle in some particular ways. And in this very discussion I think Hegel holds like Aristotle that universals [the categories of thought] can not exist without  particulars. And visa versa. See chapter III in Cunningham to see many examples of Hegel's saying so openly. Not that particulars have no existence outside of thought. 


Flour and sugar and oil are all necessary for a cake to exist. But they are not a cake. Only a cake is a cake.