Translate

Powered By Blogger

12.6.20

Balance of Values.

One needs a balance of values.

From my parents home I learned the importance of self sufficiency and that was said and emphasized quite openly. But there were other unspoken lessons like Menschlichkeit, [to be a decent human being with good character], common sense, balance, family values, and by example my dad was an inventor of things for the USA part time and other times he went into business for himself. He made the Infra Red telescope in space that is not being used by NASA. (See Life magazine in 1954 July pages 24-26 showing that my dad was the inventor of the Infra Red Telescope--i.e.  Philip Rosenbloom) [The James Webb Space Telescope is an orbiting infrared observatory] Also Laser communication between satellites that is now being used by Space X.
So besides his example, there was a definite kind of appreciation for Math and Physics. [So this emphasis I saw in two places. First my parents home. Later I saw this in the Guide and Mishne Torah of the Rambam.


Later I went to Shar Yashuv in NY and learned also some important lessons. Learning Torah, gratitude, to avoid bitul Torah [i.e. the sin of not learning Torah when one has the opportunity to do so,], and also the emphasis on deep "iyun" [learning in depth] of Tosphot and not just to quickly skip to "Lumdut". [learning  in depth along the lines of Rav Haim of Brisk]This kind of learning I never saw afterwards until I met David Bronson in Uman.

In the Mir in NY,   is where I did in fact begin to appreciate the importance of "Lumdut" [Lumdut means learning in depth in a certain way--in a global fashion as you can see in Rav Haim of Brish or Rav Shach's Avi Ezri] also, plus Musar and Rav Israel Salanter, and great caution in laws that deal with monetary issues. [That is not to touch that which does not belong to you.] Plus there was a great emphasis on not speaking lashon hara [slander.]

In Israel I began to see in fact the importance of the Math and Physics thing again. Plus seeing the importance of the state of Israel,  and the land of Israel.

So all together I learned a lot of very important lessons. But how to combine them and fulfill them is not so simple. Still I am grateful for the great lessons I have learned and still hope to fulfill.

[I forgot to add that I learned some great lessons from the books of Rav Nahman of Breslov and Uman, Speaking with God as I would speak with  a friend. That is kind of like prayer in some ways but different in that one connects with God directly by speaking from the deepest truth that is in one's heart. Also the path of learning fast, not just fast but very fast--saying the words and going on.]
[Socrates at first held that virtue and knowledge are different and his opponent said it can be learned. Then through debate they changed their positions. Socrates held that Knowledge and virtue are one and in that context that meant it can be learned.]

So there is little doubt about what the good and true values one ought to stick with, The only question is the proper balance-how much to emphasize each one and which have priority and how to apply\ them in any given situation