Translate

Powered By Blogger

14.10.16

I see the Alt Right and monarchists are not so thrilled with the Enlightenment. That would seem to be along the lines of Allen Bloom. (Closing of the American Mind). But Bloom takes the critique mainly from the beginning of the Enlightenment up until Kant and then skips over to the modern day American University. So he did not deal with German Idealism nor its offshoots. I am not sure why?

I see a lot of value in German Idealism and the later people like C.G. Jung who built on Schopenhauer and Kant.

Still the overall impression is that none of these people liked the Throne and Altar approach of the Middle Ages.


In any case you can see even in Jung  and Hegel the struggle to get out of a Torah Framework.

Certainly not in Kant though.


In any case I am still trying to evaluate the whole thing. I read Allen Bloom about 5 years ago and pretty much what he says makes sense. That is: The Enlightenment and the Anti Enlightenment have both been on a collusion course for some time and now are colliding. The devastation of the Enlightenment is apparent in the modern USA university. But the solution is no where to be seen. He certainly does not think a return to Throne and Altar  is a good idea. I also have sen plenty of abuse in religious settings. There is enough abuse for me to shudder at the idea of religious authorities have any kind of power.

I prefer to remain in the Allen Bloom Zone where both the Enlightenment and Throne and Altar approach have some validity and that the best way has simply not been found yet.

Just to be clear I think the modern world got intoxicated with modernity. The best thing is to learn Gemara, Musar [medieval ethics] Math and Physics. Take the best of the holy Torah and science.  [Hegel I am not so thrilled with.]