Translate

Powered By Blogger

8.12.15

Songs for Hanuka

q76  q75  b105 m C    b101 b100 n5    n8  B Yochai  Exodus4 n7 bh  q78




What I recommend for Hanuka is to begin a session daily in the Written Law and the Oral Law. That is to start a session going through the two Talmuds page by page.  After that it is possible to start a more in depth kind of session.

Mainly it is best to learn at home unless you have an authentic yeshiva nearby.
The world of Yeshiva is unlike any world that you can imagine. It hearkens back to the world of Eastern Europe.  There is in the great NY yeshivas an amazing atmosphere of Torah. But as a warning to the wise I should mention most places that go by the name of yeshiva are frauds. They might have books and students. But there is a spirit of Torah that they just can't duplicate.

Often yeshivas have a charismatic leader who is the object of worship instead of God. These places should be avoided.


I should mention that I have been looking at blogs on public affairs recently and from what I can tell the problem with the world is that people don't learn the Written and Oral Torah (Talmud). For example I don't think rights for a person to have private property would be an issue after learning Bava Mertzia. I also think that a lot of people's attitudes towards a large variety of topics would be changed for the better by an hour a day of Talmud. [I admit I don't do a fast session anymore. The time I spend is usually on a more in depth kind of learning. But that is because of constraints. If I could I would have a fast session and an in-depth one both. And I would do the same for the natural sciences. But there also my time is constrained. So mainly in the natural sciences I have  fast session. And I hope someday to a more in depth kind of learning there also.