Translate

Powered By Blogger

26.9.21

advice I heard from my father--many times. The idea of self reliance

 There is another bit of advice I heard from my father--many times. The idea of self reliance. So when I went to Shar Yashuv  and later the Mir in NY,I was thinking of Torah Lishma --[learning Torah for its own sake.]And the idea is more or less thus: that when one learns Torah for its own sake, then parnasah [a living] and all one's other needs come to him automatically. That is the ideal which I was striving for. And I still hold that is is a viable approach--that when one turns all his focus on learning Torah then everything else falls into place. 

But there is an aspect of Avodat Hashem [service of God] that is working at an honest job. This is gone into in the LeM of Rav Nahman vol II perek 4 [I think].