Translate

Powered By Blogger

8.1.17

When I got to the yeshiva of Rav Freifeld, Shar Yashuv, Motti Friefeld [Rav Freifeld's son] always stressed review and learning in depth.
And thus until this day I am always torn between review and going on.
In the Mir Yeshiva there was already a system in place of doing in depth learning in the morning [10 A.M.-2 P.M.] and fast learning in the afternoon [i.e. 3:45-8 P.M.].

The Gemara in tracate Shabat 63 talks about the importance of just saying the words and going on. And this is discussed in depth in the Musar book אורחות צדיקים.

For others I can't really say. For me I find different methods seem to apply to different kinds of learning. For example once you have finished Shas at least once I have found it helpful to stay on one Tosphot for weeks and even months. In the Ari that was printed by Rav Ashlag with paragraph divisions I found it helpful to repeat every paragraph twice and then to go on. That was very similar to the way I was doing the Gemara the first time around. I would repeat the section of the Gemara twice with Rashi and go on.
[Later the way I would do the Gemara is this: every sentence together with Rashi. That is I keep one finger on the gemara and one on Rashi and read them in exact correspondence.]



[I have mentioned before the importance of Physics and Metaphysics so here I wanted say what I found helpful in these subjects. In Physics I found it helpful to do about a hundred pages and then go back to do review in reverse order. [that is backwards chapter 10 then 9 then 8 etc.] I might explain this in more detail but I figure you anyway have to find what works for you best.  Reverse learning I found in three places, the Ari, a medieval book of Musar from the school of the Jewish German mystics, and also the Ramchal [Rav Moshe Chaim Lutzatto.].