Translate

Powered By Blogger

11.11.18

[A woman that rebels against her husband for no valid reason.

I was learning in the local study hall and for some reason the issue of מורדת came up. [A woman that rebels against her husband for no valid reason.] This was a surprise to me since the usual public lectures over there have do do with everyday minutia in law. That these bigger issues.  To me is is a difficult issue because once I has occasion to be talking with a granddaughter of  Bava Sali who was in fact thinking of asking her husband for a divorce. I advised against it but today I believe I was wrong.  It is never a simple issue. Sometimes there does seems to be a good reason for woman to leave.


In the Rema's [R. Moshe Iserless] correspondence there is a letter about this issue.

The basic issue issue is that marriage is more than a contract--but not less than a contract. So just like when you sign an agreement in business, that is binding even if one day you wake up and do not feel like fulfilling it. Still there are valid reasons that a woman can leave.

The daughter of Bava Sali asked me to agree with her daughter's feels that she ought to leave her husband. I did not agree and probably I should have listened.

So I ask how can you tell if some thought or urge come from the side of holiness or not? Or even if you adopt certain principles how can you tell if they are accurate or at least always accurate?