Translate

Powered By Blogger

6.1.15

I had two issue to discuss today. One is Kabalah and the approach of the Geon from Vilnius about it. First I want to say that too many people in the world of Kabalah try to make it out as if the whole thing depends on the authorship of the Zohar.  And they think that if someone does not accept that Rabbi Shimon Ben Yochai wrote then they are a heretic. And on the other hand there are people that do not see any value in it at all once they find out that it at least is not what we call the Oral Law.

Frankly when I was learning the writings of Isaac Luria it never even occurred to me that this was traditional. It seemed completely obvious that these were the השגות the revelations of the Ari. The same way that we assume other tzadikim had revelations. And we don't try to suppose they had some tradition going back to Sinai.

On the other hand when it comes to understanding Isaac Luria we do assume people are using their own intelligence.

  There are three basic authentic approaches to the Ari'zal: (1) Moshe Chaim Lutzato (the Ramchal) and this was clearly that of the Gra also. And recently they published the writings of the disciple of the Ramchal which seem to me to be very important to learn. (2) The Moroccan Mystic Yaakov Abuchatzeira, the grandfather of Bava Sali. (3) the Yemenite Kabalist, Shalom Sharabi (the Reshash).


[I forgot to mention the Kabalah Center. They are I think going with the Ashlag and the disciple of the Ashlag. I confess I never studied the Ashlag very much, but his writings look good. Especially the notes of his disciple  on the Shalom Sharabi's Nahar Shalom look very good.] From the little that I have seen it looks to me that the Ashlag is basically going with the approach of the Shalom Sharabi. But since Shalom Sharabi is very difficult it looks like the Ashlag is trying to make it a bit easier to understand.

In any case I think all this is very good and important to learn because it does give a deep understanding of Torah. But I think also it should be learned only after one has finished the Oral and Written Law.

 Try to learn Kabalah only with a Sefardi master and preferably with a descendant of either  Shalom Sharabi or Yaakov 
The Nesfesh HaChaim is mainly a Musar book though it does quote from the Zohar and the Ari. I highly recommend it but as Musar, not Kabalah.