Translate

Powered By Blogger

26.3.22

my mother. It seems to me that this might have been on her honeymoon with my father on a ship towards Europe (after WWII)

 




Her parents were Isaac Freeman and Devora. Devora was the first in the USA -born of her parents the Solomon's. Leila Freeman was from Newark NJ, but in the summer she was in Asbury Park helping  to run the Hamilton Hotel. She and her friends were at the beach there one day, when a bunch of guys came over to say "hello." She laid eyes on my dad for one split second, and that was that. My dad must have been quite a sight. He was a captain in the USA Air Force in WWII.  

Isaac Freeman, her father, was born in Poland. My own dad's parents also were born in Poland.  
The lessons I learned from my mother were somewhat different from what I learned from my father. From my mother I learned "to be a mensch" decent human bein with good character traits [which were the forte of my parents.] plus --"to marry a nice Jewish girl". To be a mensch I did not succeed, but to marry a nice Jewish girl I did--Paula Finn [changed name from Finkelstein]. My father had a slightly different set of values=self sufficiently. The odd thing is neither emphasized the natural sciences, but they clearly had a high regard for what is now called STEM. [and almost zero for the stupid social studies] [My dad was an inventor.  First the infrared telescope and later laser communication at TRW. ]


I might mention is not that my parents liked the idea of serving in the Army. Everything depended on what kind of war the USA was involved in. Fighting Nazi Germany was not the same thing as fighting North Vietnam. That later was essentially nothing to do with us.