Translate

Powered By Blogger

2.11.18

In laws of buying and selling 22: 15 and 22:16 the Rambam brings that a person that  a person who says a calf that will be born from his cow is sanctified for the Temple is required to fulfill his words even though holiness does not come on the calf since it is considered a thing that has not yet come into the world. Then he says about one dying that if he says the fruit that his tree will bring forth is to go to the poor that the people that inherit his money must fulfill his words. Rav Yoseph Karo asks on this that they are not required to fulfill his vow.
Rav Shach answers [based on a certain Tosphot] that obligations on one's body imply obligation on one's property. This was an issue that came up in my book on Bava Metzia but I was not aware at the time that Rav Shach had written anything on this.

I would try to add a note now but as I mentioned I can not do any writing of music nor ideas in Torah unless I get my old computer back or get a new one. Anyway I am very happy I am not in prison--because there also I think I would not be writing much music or ideas in Torah


The actual answer that David Bronson said in Bava Metzia was a little different than Rav Shach but it was related. The idea there was that there is a certain amount of obligation that is implied when one agrees to lend or to rent one's property to another. But David also there in Bava Metzia did not like the idea of the Netivot HaMishpat that the difference between lending and object and renting it is the difference between obligation on one's body and obligation on one's property. And that certain goes along with Rav Shach.

In any case Rav Shach was not coming to answer the problems in Bava Metzia so anyway I think we need to depend on the answer of David Bronson as I wrote over there.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some reason in the Litvak study hall my book on Bava Metzia is still around and being looked at but not the one on Shas. I gave both to the Rav there and he left one out on the table. So why not the one on Shas? I think because I might have gone into law issues too much for his taste. So I am thinking if I want to write about law, it ought to be in a separate book, not the one on Shas.