Translate

Powered By Blogger

18.11.18

the philosophers I think are the most important

Even though I mentioned a few days ago the philosophers I think are the most important I wanted to add a few that I have had great benefit from.
The important ones: Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Reid, Kant, L. Nelson.

But to add to that list I want to mention Rav Nahman from Uman who does a very good job in defending faith (not saying I agree with everything there, but his insights are amazing). Also Steven Dutch, Kelley Ross (Friesian School), Michael Huemer, the Rambam's Guide and also David Hartman's book on the Rambam, The Madragat HaAdam by Joseph Horvitz from Navardok, and Isaac Blazer's the Light of Israel, the Nefesh HaHaim by Rav Haim from Voloshin.

These are not all exactly philosophy but more like books that deal with world view issues.


[My basic world view orientation you can see is Neo Platonic. That should  clear from the top list. But also the bottom list. Jewish thought --especially Musar of the Middle Ages and also Rav Nahman are all thoroughly Neo Platonic--even when they are not aware of it.

My philosophical bent was apparent even to my peers in high school. But to repeat what I have said before, my interest is in finding the Truth, not in philosophy per se. Thus after I found the school of though called the Kant Fries School, I am basically satisfied and feel free to learn Gemara, the Avi Ezri and and Math. I do feel a need to keep searching for philosophical problems.

[If at least Leonard Nelson was in English I might spend more time of him.]