Translate

Powered By Blogger

22.3.18

The Avi Ezri of Rav Shach;- authentic Torah. Reveals the essence of Torah.

Since I love package deals, and learning the whole Oral Law is time consuming,  my recommendation is to learn the Avi Ezri of Rav Shach which contains the basic core of what it means to learn Gemara.
This way in learning even just a few pages one gets the idea of what it means "to learn Torah."

You really do not get this by learning just Gemara and Tosphot unless you are blessed with the ability to see beneath the surface. With Rav Shach however, it is all laid out in front of you.

You might try also Reb Haim Soloveitchik's חידושי הרמב''ם (which people call "Hidushai Reb Haim"), but I found Rav Shach's book to be better for me.
The great thing about Rav Shach's Avi Ezri is it is authentic Torah. It reveals the essence of what learning Torah is all about.

[I myself am generally incapable of that deep kind of learning. I was exposed to it at the Mir but even there I never got the hang of it. Then when I was learning with David Bronson, I saw him spontaneously uncovering the issues in the Gemara and at that point I began to be able to address the issues and sometimes even answer the questions. But unless you yourself have that kind of head or have a genius learning partner, the only way I know of getting into this kind of depth is with the Avi Ezri. You need a special kind of ability to see beyond the surface level of things to be able to do this on your own.]
[There are other books that can help fill in the big picture; i.e.,  Reb Haim's disciples and Reb Naftali Troup. But the Avi Ezri goes deeper and is also clearer.]