Translate

Powered By Blogger

19.10.17

Looking at the kings of Israel, I got reminded that getting rid of idolatry was a central concern. Some of them simply got rid of every last idol they could find in Israel and every single idol worshiper.
I think that I myself have lost sight of this simple idea. Most religious places do worship human beings even though they pretend to keep Torah. But not only that, but furthermore the worship of their particular idol is central to their philosophy.

The first time I was going through Tenach the Old Testament, I noticed  this central concern of many of the great kings only slightly. The next time I began to notice it more so.

My feeling about all this is that it would be great if someone would do like King Asa and just throw out all the idols once and for all. [This is certainly something the Gra wanted to do, but his advice was not accepted. Even the Litvak yeshivas which more or less follow his approach are watered down and diluted and infiltrated.]

I might mention all the idolatry I have seen in the religious world has always bothered me. I just have never spoken up because I figured there must be some excuses for it. After all I have never learned the subject in the Gemara in Sanhedrin 63 in detail. Only after doing the sugia with y learning partner do I feel I have  a better grasp of the issue.