Translate

Powered By Blogger

15.6.17

There is enough of "Down with the USA" from the Left.

There is enough of "Down with the USA" from the Left. I do not see any reason for the Right to reinforce this -except a few recently bad presidents with bad policies. But to continue in this vein now seems to defeat the whole purpose. For 200 years the USA stood for everything that is right and decent more than any other nation in history. Even King David and King Solomon did not get anywhere near the 200 year mark. David I think was about 40 years and Solomon I forget. My opinion is that a lot of animosity comes from male white people being severely abused by the last couple of administrations. But now that is stopping and the USA is getting back on track. Why knock it?


Allen Bloom in his The Closing of the American Mind saw all the problems but his solution was limited to education in Plato's Republic. I would propose another solution but also along the lines that he said about the importance of education. My solution would be more or less along the lines of the Rambam of education in four areas the Written Law of Moses, the Oral Law--especially Rav Shach's Avi Ezri which contains the essence of the Oral Law, Physics [i.e. Field Theory which means Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory, String Theory, and the Metaphysics of Aristotle. I do not mean to discount what Allen Bloom was saying. It is just a matter of emphasis.]

[I do not mean to be exclusive either. First of all clearly the Rambam was also referring to Plato even though he thought more highly of Aristotle. Still I am curious abut what he saw in the Republic. My own feeling is the smaller dialogues are more important. Also in terms of the Oral Law, it is a good idea to learn the whole school of thought of Reb Chaim Solovietchik staring the חידושי הרמב''ם from Reb Chaim himself and including his major disciples.