Translate

Powered By Blogger

10.2.20

The basic books of how to learn Torah are actually available. One could get a Avi Ezri of Rav Shach, the Hidushei HaRambam by Rav Haim of Brisk and his disciples, the Birkat Shmuel and Shaari Yosher, and the Hidushei HaGarnat by Naphtali Troup. And then just plow through them.

This is in fact what I was trying to do in Uman during a period I was isolated there.

Of course it is helpful to be either recall the actual Gemaras they are talking about, or at least be able to look up the basic subject. However I have to add that the Avi Ezri brings down the basic Gemara itself with such clarity that you can almost bypass the intermediate steps.

[To some degree you can do this also with Rav Chaim of Brisk,-- except that his is less clear than Rav Shach.] When I had the Avi Ezri I would go through each piece a few times. About once a day for a few days. That was not exactly the same as learning "beiyun" [in depth] . But it was not "bekiut" [fast learning] either. It was just this sort of middle way that seemed to work for me.

[Especially given the fact that my time was very limited. For someone with the merit of sitting and learning Torah all day I have no idea how I would go about learning Rav Haim or Rav Shach. I might just take one afternoon to go through a whole piece a few times instead of spreading it over a few days.]