Translate

Powered By Blogger

15.1.22

repeating every chapter of Gemara ten times.

In the Conversations of Rav Nahman  76. is brought the system of learning of saying the words of what you are studying as fast as possible and to go on. Review in this method only applies after one has finished the book completely.
It seems that this method can be applied to the hard sciences also--or at least that is what I have tried to do or myself.
But I wanted to mention that hearing and learning from an expert is also important.  
I have mentioned this before in regard to Shar Yashuv and the Mir Yeshiva in NY--where, thank God, I found grace in God's eyes to grant to me to learn from gedolei Torah [great sages in Torah] R. Naphtali Yeager, R. Shmuel Berenbaum, and later in Uman with David Bronson.

Still I should add that one also needs an depth session. I heard from Rav Freifeld the idea of repeating every chapter of Gemara ten times. And in fact later at the Mir I used to repeat every Pnei Yehoshua at least ten times. This system of learning of lots of review I feel is very important --but only when it is possible. Sometimes you realize that no matter how much you review, it will not help and just bog you down, But there are times when lots of review can be extremely important. [The idea of review I found very helpful when I was at the Polytechnic Institute of NYU doing Physics.]]