Translate

Powered By Blogger

25.5.18

learning math and Physics

Once you accept the idea of my parents and the Obligations of the Heart and the Rambam about the importance of learning math and Physics for their own sake and not just because of talent or making a living then comes the question of how to go about it. (note 1)

My idea is to first do גירסה --say the words from the beginning of the book until the end. Then review that same book four times in the same way. 

(note 1) You can see this idea hinted to often in the Obligations of the Heart and other Musar books from the Middle Ages. Later musar books however ignore or dismiss this idea entirely. My feeling is that the rishonim [mediaeval authorities] got this right.

 [note 2] That was at the beginning of my taking up Mathematics after forgetting it for years. Also in NY that is what I was doing as I was trying to get into higher math. But then with all the running around and lack of concentration and just plain getting old I decided it was time to just do "saying the words and going on" since that was the only way I could hope to get the big picture.