Translate

Powered By Blogger

28.2.18

trust in God

I certainly never got the trust in God (Bitahon) subject straightened out. I never knew [nor  know now] when it is proper to trust in God and when it is proper to make some effort. Even learning the two books of Musar that deal with this subject [חובות לבבות ומדרגת האדם] never helped me much in getting the subject straightened out in my own mind.
I assume the reason is the "need to know" thing that you have in the USA Military. This is one area where free will has to play a role and therefore it is left ambiguous.

In the Mir in NY they get a certain stipend from the government. And that much I got when I was married and part of the Mir Yeshiva  group of married guys that received that stipend.
I learned before I was married that people supplement that stipend in different ways.  In any case, after  a short time, I was invited to join the group in Meor Haim in Safed.

But the subject still remains fuzzy in my own mind. From what I can tell, if one can receive that stipend that the State of Israel offers, and just sit and learn, that is the best idea. Running around for money just does not seem like a great way to spend time when one can be learning Torah. There is also what I think is a somewhat better idea;- to be part of the kind of yeshivas that are coordinated with the State of Israel in such a way that one learns Torah for a few years, and then serves in the IDF for a year, and then back to learning. Back and forth.