Translate

Powered By Blogger

30.5.17

learning fast

I have been recommending learning fast  for quite some time already.

This comes from the Talmud itself.


This was mentioned  by Reb Nahman often and is brought in Sichot HaRan chapter 76.

And I have mentioned a few times that this method has been helpful for me..
But there are places in Reb Nachman' Magnum Opus that also hint to this idea without stating it openly. על ידי אמצעות הדיבור יכולים לבא להבנת התורה לעומקה Volume I:12
בעבר הנהר ישבו אבותיך מעולם יהודיים נקראים עבריים על שם עבר הנהר ש קופצים על הקושיות לבא לאמונה
To skip over the difficulties in understanding and just to go on--go וייטר.




[Jews are called "Hebrew" because they skip over the difficulties to come to faith. That Reb Nachman derives from the verse "Your forefathers lived across {בעבר} from the Jordan River "
Also in Vol. II he talks about the idea of "כסדר" "in order" as being from the side of kindness and not in order being from judgment.
From all that one can see him hinting to this idea of just saying the words in order and going on.



However I did add to this a kind of way of review in which after about 100 page or so, I go back and review in reverse order. That is: let's say I got to chapter 10. Then I do chapter 9 and then 8 and then 7. etc. Feynman also I think advised some kind of approach like this to one person asking him advice on learning.

[Clearly Reb Nachman was referring to learning Torah but I also applied this to Physics and Math. This is based a reading of the Rambam in the Guide but also in Mishne Torah.]

In terms of Gemara I think the best thing is to be in a genuine Litvak Yeshiva (not copy cat yeshivas that are there just for the government stipend). It is hard (impossible) to come to understand the Gemara without that basic Litvak background. But in any case, I also think that just saying the words and going on makes sense. That is this: to do a 1/2 page of Gemara per day with Rashi and Tosphot and Maharaha.[That is about 40 minutes.]
[One could also just learn at home and to  learn "how to learn" he should learn the tremendous book the Avi Ezri of Rav Shach]