Translate

Powered By Blogger

12.6.16

There have been times when I experimented with different kinds of review in learning. I can not say what works best for everyone. But I wanted to mention something that I found helpful. I a have mentioned that the Gemara in Avoda Zara has this idea  of one should just say the words and go on.  And I think that is right. But a few years ago with a text in Quantum Physics I did a slightest variation on this. I would get to the end of  a chapter,  and then instead of gong on to the next chapter, I would go back over the last one in reverse order, section by section. This I think can be helpful for others, so I thought to mention it here. The idea is let's say chapter 2 has ten sections. I would (after reading the whole chapter straight),  go back to section ten. Then nine, then eight. etc.

You could do this with the Gemara itself. When I was in Yeshiva in NY the emphasis there was how many times you finished a chapter. There was one store-owner I remember who did chapter three of one tractate a whole bunch of times.