Translate

Powered By Blogger

16.10.20

"Bitul Torah" [Wasting time which could be used for learning Torah.]

 Rav Natan the student of Rav Nahman of Breslov told over an event that happened a little before his time about "Bitul Torah". [Wasting time which could be used for learning Torah.]]

This came about because Rav Natan was on his way to Israel and dealing with dishonest agents in the Ukraine trying to pay for a ticket on a ship to Israel. He was aware of cheating agents and within telling this over he told a story about a person he had heard about who was a tremendous matmid [diligent] in Torah. That person [Leib Ashkenazi] also wanted to go to Israel and pay for a ticket from some agent and went into the boat and waited there until it was to start the trip. He waited there a day. Then another day. Then a week. Then a month. Then 6 months. Then decided to leave the ship and ask what was going on? He found out the ship had been out of service already for a few years. So he went and told the agent, "For the money I lost I forgive you. But I do not forgive you for the bitul Torah [casuing me to lose time from learning Torah]." That agent had two daughters. One died. Then the other. And then the agent himself. 

I can definitely relate to this. But it is hard to explain to someone who has not felt the awesome power and beauty of Torah. 

I know it sounds like bitul Torah when I suggest learning Physics and Mathematics. However I am depending on Saadia Gaon and a couple of Rishonim that hold they are part of learning Torah. [Not all rishonim.]

[I can also relate to the story of Rav Natan because I felt also that there were forces pulling me away from learning Torah that I regret.]