Translate

Powered By Blogger

7.3.20

IN the concept of trust in God, I have wondered how much of that is related to the way Rav Nahman of Uman talked about learning fast and just saying the words and going on.
What I mean is that in a wider sense Rav Nahman held the basic right approach to trust in God is thus: that one makes a vessel in order that the blessing can come in it. That is one does some small action by which the blessing of flow can come into and that is all. More than that is "ריבוי השתדלות" [too much trying].

On the other hand that would not saying doing review and in depth learning could not also be done with trust. But it does seem that the "Girsa" [just saying the words and going on] is more directly related to trust.

I mean I find whether in the Avi Ezri of Rav Shach or in Math and Physics that just saying the words and going on tends to be frustrating after a while.  At some point you begin to think "If I would review this just twice I would get it while now I understand nothing. So why not do a drop of review?"

So to me it seems like they used to do in the Mir in NY. I.e. have one session for in depth learning and another one for bekiut [fast]. [That is common in all Litvak places. The morning is for in depth learning. The afternoon is for fast. But in the Litvak approach that is still not as fast as Rav Nahman recommended. Still the idea is similar.]]