Translate

Powered By Blogger

2.10.19

Yerushalmi on the Shofar

I had a chance to take a look at the Gemara in the Yerushalmi on the Shofar for a few minutes before Rosh Hashana.

That was a few day ago so I forgot most of it. But the basic idea I saw was this the mishna says סדר תקיעות שלש של שלש שלש and the Gemara [the Jerusalem Talmud] says R. Hanania and R Mana. One says a "trumita" and the other says 3 thin ones.
The commentator there says it means an order like this.  one long one equal to nine short bursts. Then three short ones each one equal to three short bursts. and then one long one equal to 9.

That is the Tekia shevarim tekia. Then a Tekia truah tekia is  one long one equal to 9 short bursts. Then 9 short bursts. Then one long one equal to 9.

Clearly then the first set of tekia shevarim truah tekia is 9-3,3,3,111111111,-9❤
[So the first set of 3 tekia truah tekia is 9, 111111111, 9. Then repeat that another 2 times. The next set is 3 tekia shevarim tekia. So  that comes out 9, 3-3-3,9. Then repeat that another two times. Then the last set is I I mentioned above tekia shevarim trua tekia. That comes out 9-3-3-3-111111111-9. And repeat that another two times.]



This is how I kind of recall the same ideas brought in the regular Gemara on the last page of Rosh Hashana. [the Babylonian Talmud]

My question here is that it is hard to see this in the Gemara itself. I can not tell if the gemara is talking about the length of one set Tashrat [Tekia shevarim truah tekia] or Teshat or Trat. Or of all three sets.


I might mention here that I had a few extra minutes to take a look at the Pnei Moshe's longer commentary at the end of the Gemara and he brings the Rambam that the length of a truah is two tekiot. I can imagine that this refers to first set of tekia shevarim truah tekia in which the middle shevaraim truah is equal to 18 short burts all together since each one by itself is 9.