Translate

Powered By Blogger

11.9.17

Generational mistrust.

Generational mistrust. When youth no longer trust their elders. Someone came to my hospital room yesterday and played the violin. We all clapped when he was done. One fellow {Roman--or Roma for short} commented that no matter what he did, his own father always criticized him. He was never good enough.
I would not have thought anything of this if not for the fact that I noticed that Socrates dealt with the same problem [in Euthydemus]. Two adults that had come to Athens claimed to be able to teach to youth how to become wise and good. Their methods were more effective in created deep mistrust of adults in youth.
And I have seen myself a great deal of what causes the generation gap. Lying to youth  and using them for one's own purposes.

Outside of this I wanted to mention what I think is the best approach. That is, to support what ever is good and to criticize whatever is bad.

[To know oneself what is good and bad is by learning Musar. Learning Musar does not actually make one good, but it does reveal objective morality.]


I think society's disparagement of parents causes some percentage of the problem--but not all. A lot depends on the behavior of the parents