Translate

Powered By Blogger

22.5.16

The meaning of life and "to find the truth."

High School had an indelible imprint on my life. I think the USA was changing at that time. But as a rule families did stuff on weekends. This I think was practically universal in the USA at the time. I had to go to Hebrew School on Shabat so the only day we could do stuff was Sunday. Summers were different. Either we went back East.[NY, NJ] or to summer camps.
Families were much more fragile than ours, but still stable and sturdy as a rule. High School itself was combination of intense frustration and awesome high points. But it was all an integral whole. Family and school and vacations all had an organic connection.
I was intensely curious about the meaning of life and "to find the truth." This was in to some degree part of the environment in S. California at the time. That is I studied philosophy on my own but not as an academic endeavor but to find the truth. Plato, Spinoza, Dante, Buddha, Marx, and Chinese philosophers were like bread and butter to me. Eventually I settled on the Torah--the Law of Moses as having the most accurate representation of reality and the truth. That was my personal journey.

My parents and friends provided as much support as possible but largely this was a lonely effort.

I was looking for the truth but the truth was before my very eyes. Family values, a decent stable democracy as the USA was in those days, it all seems idyllic compared to what the world has sunken into since then. Even though it was an amazing world I still sought the transcendental meaning behind it all.

In any case I found some amazing truth in the Law of Moses. But I also saw it can be misused.
Still in the world of the Lithuanian Yeshiva I found a close connection between the inner essence of the Law of Moses and how people were living their lives.






.