Translate

Powered By Blogger

2.3.23

this confusing modern world

 To gain clarity in this confusing modern world I have no better solution that the medieval idea of synthesis between faith and reason but nowadays it would be a bit different than the Middle Ages. For one thing Reason would not mean just Plato and Aristotle, but would include Kant [and I would dare to add Leonard Nelson.] Also the Rishonim like the Rambam that had Physics being an integral part of learning Torah would include modern Physics. [Hegel might also be considered a powerful sequel to Kant but with the Friesian approach Nelson (and Kelley Ross) I found a lot more answers than i did in Hegel. ] 

As for faith, I realize there is a crisis in faith in itself. Rav Nahman of Breslov pointed out the problem of Torah scholars that are demons [in his book Le.M vol. I, ch. 12 and 28].These teachers make getting to authentic Torah problematic. The best thing I can see is to get through the Tenach and the Two Talmuds and Midrashim by fast learning, and to have at least one in depth session in "Iyun" in Tosphot, Maharsha. and the Avi Ezri of Rav Shach [or Reb Chaim of Brisk.] [This sort of learning in depth along the line of Reb Chaim was the way of the Mir in NY when I was there. But there is also a way of learning Tosphot in depth that is more difficult to decribe. ]