Translate

Powered By Blogger

11.2.15

I mentioned my idea how to make the Gra make sense in terms of his idea that night starts after 13.5 minutes after sunset. [Or 18 if you go by a 24 minute mil.].
The problem with this is three medium stars don't come out until 45 minutes after sunset.
[Another problem is all rishonim and also Rav Saadia Geon say like Rabbainu Tam.]
I wrote my idea on this blog a few days ago that this can be explained by the expansion of the universe.
Shimon Baker in a Breslov Shul nearby told me he has another proof for the Gra. The Mechilta on Exodus 12. The first verse says, "This month shall be to you the beginning of the months."
The Mechilta [brought by Rashi] says God did not give Moses prophecy at night. So how could he show the moon to Moses? Answer God talked with him during the day and then right when it became night he showed him the moon.
The moon sets on the first day of the month right after sunset. Therefore when God showed him the new moon it had to be within about 13 to 18 minutes after sunset. On 72 minutes after sunset on the first day of the month there is no moon.


Please don't take this as a pesak halacha. Even though I have great respect for the Gra, I can't say to go with his opinion against all the Rishonim and the Shulchan Aruch itself which goes like Rabbainu Tam.
I know there are some people who follow the Gra in everything like Rav Zilverman in Jerusalem and that is admirable but I can't say to do that as a general rule. [I might like to, but I can't. ]