Translate

Powered By Blogger

5.7.18

In any case, if we take the idea of receiving advice from a tzadik as important as brought in the book of Rav Nahman from Breslov and his advice is to learn fast, that would seem to settle the issue.

My first yeshiva was Shar Yashuv of Rav Shelomo Freifeld. He emphasized he idea of review ten times of what ever Tosphot or page of Gemara one is doing. I heard that from him directly and also from his son Motti Freifeld.

And in fact I tried doing that but the fact that I felt I needed to make progress created a great deal of conflict. I had already seen the idea of learning fast by just saying the words and going on which is brought in אורחות צדיקים an anonymous Musar sefer from the Middle Ages.

So during my three year period in Shar Yashuv I had a kind of compromise. Not review ten times nor just saying the words but review of everything twice and then going on.

I am not saying that is the best idea. Rather what I suggest is the kind of learning that was done at the Mir yeshiva in NY where the morning learning is in depth and the afternoon is for fast learning.

So I feel there is a place for both. That is after you have gone over a subject fast a few times then to sit and do the in depth approach.

I feel also that the idea of praying to understand also is important.

In any case, if we take the idea of receiving advice from a tzadik as important as brought in the book of Rav Nahman from Breslov  and his advice is to learn fast, that would seem to settle the issue.

Furthermore he also emphasizes the idea of belief in the wise and certainly the Rambam comes under that category. And the Rambam emphasized learning Physics and Metaphysics. So putting it all together we have now a method of learning Torah and Physics that is applicable and practical-- learn as fast as possible--just say the words and go on.