Translate

Powered By Blogger

12.6.22

 I have been looking at the news and I feel a lot of issues would be clearer to people if they would know about faith and reason.. Since the Enlightenment, some philosophers have sought to find morality in reason alone with no input from the Bible.  Of course not all philosophers have gone this path. Hegel for one sought to justify faith by means of reason. He was to Protestantism what Aquinas was to the Catholics. [Though I hesitate to state this so openly, since Left Hegelians saw him differently. I admit my understanding Hegel is mainly based on just one thing--the Logic as printed in his Encyclopedia. I think most people's understanding of Hegel comes from their reading of the Phenomenology. ]


A different approach  to faith comes from the Friesian School which I think is just as great as Hegel even though the principles are quite different. There you find a sort of knowledge which is not based on the senses and not based on reason. ["Reason" in this context means to derive one thing from another. It is not the same thing as when Prichard, G.E. Moore or Huemer think of reason as that which recognizes universals. This is an expanded idea of reason.]