Translate

Powered By Blogger

18.9.18

Repeating every paragraph twice helps to learn.

I have found that repeating every paragraph twice helps me to learn. I discovered this in my first year in Shar Yashuv yeshiva in NY. I had heard of the idea of just saying the words and going on but also in Shar Yashuv the idea of review was emphasized by Rav Freifled an his son Motti. So I arrived on this compromise. This idea also helped me later in the Mir where in depth learning was emphasized but i felt i needed to make progress. [That was in learning Gemara Hulin, Ketuboth and Yevamot.]]

This also helped me when I began to learn Physics and Mathematics.


[I have gone back and forth on this over time but this idea of doing a small amount of review and then going on seems to work best for me.]


[For some time in University I did this kind of review because I needed to pass the tests. But later I began just to say the words and go on. Nowadays I am thinking this method of minimal review makes the most sense for me. ]

[The way I originally learned Gemara was with the Soncino English-- paragraph by paragraph-with the Aramaic then English and then Aramaic. [But even then I was doing Tosphot and Maharsha] That is how I as doing Gemara in NY.  That is to say in the Mir people were way above my level. But still for some reason Rav Shmuel Berenbaum felt I could learn well enough to accept me. In any case I found that repeating each section of Gemara twice was good for me to be able to make progress but also to get the basic idea.

Later when learning with David Bronson, I saw his way of sticking on every single word of Tosphot until he would understand. And then I started seeing the same kind of learning that Rav Naftai Yeagger was doing in Far Rockaway--totally different than the path of the Mir and Rav Haim of Brisk. At that point I started this thing of reviewing each page of Gemara a whole lot of times and that is how I started writing those two books of chidushim [news ideas] on Gemara