Translate

Powered By Blogger

19.1.18

repentance are my essentially not following in my parents foot steps

The basic areas I am aware of for myself that need repentance are my essentially not following in my parents foot steps. It has been a trend in Western society to make fathers look like fools and this trend started with trying to make parents look evil. So there was a good deal of peer pressure to discount the good example of my parents. Still to me today it looks like that was a serious mistake. They were doing everything just about as well as any human being could be expected to do. [As a reference, I suggest looking at Jeremiah 35, and also the חידושי הגרנ''ט which is from one of the great Lithuanian sages Rav Naftali Troup concerning the issue of honor of one's parents. ]

On the other hand it is hard for me to imagine that I could have learned Gemara in any real sense  except by going to the authentic Litvak yeshivas of NY.

And that path would in fact have made it hard to do university along with Torah since the subway ride to Brooklyn College was very long from Shar Yashuv in Far Rockaway.

In any case, that is one area. Another important area is the State of Israel which I have to say is very important. I was sadlly set into the mentality of people that had made a mistake in this regard. Today to be against the State of Israel looks to me to be on the moral scale of treason.
[To some degree I confess ignorance because at the Mir Yeshiva in NY nothing was ever discussed about any politics what so ever. People were simply too involved in learning Torah to care. And the very positive opinions about Israel of Reb Moshe Feinstein and Reb Aaron Kotler were completely unknown.]